Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

Book review: The Moment It Clicks

The Moment It Clicks: Photography secrets from one of the world's top shootersTHE MOMENT IT CLICKS
Photography secrets from one of the world's top shooters

by Joe McNally


That is the title of the book that I will now give a short (to be honest, also shallow) review. There will come a time in my book reading that I will just simply flip through the pages without really reading the text.

And talk about a book on photography. I really thought that I knew this guy (his picture is in the book), and I've seen him somewhere. Then I flipped some pages, and I said, 'No wonder!' The name came up: Scott Kelby. I've seen them both in the books that I've read that were written by Scott Kelby (The Digital Photography Books 1, 2, & 3). They are 'shooting partners.'

Now, straight to the (supposedly) review that I am making:

Just the book's cover, if you are a person of details, will already catch your attention. I'm imagining how the picture was taken: the model held a piece of broken mirror infront of her, perhaps at arm's length, then the photographer made a very careful angling of the mirror to have a shot like the camera is directly infront of her...

Still leaves me thinking how it was really done.

Anyway, there were a lot of sentences, or rather, quotes, in this book; if not on all pages, it would be about in 95% of the book's pages, and some I will quote here. Somehow I find myself in the same thought or situation, so I think the experience will be the same. (Should I say, the path will also be the same: towards excellence?)

----------
"I can't tell you how many pictures I've missed, ignored, trampled, or otherwise lost just 'cause I've been so hell bent on getting the shot I THINK I want."

"I had no contacts, no permission, no one to ask permission from... things get real simple when you have no time."

"Tom Kennedy, the former DOP at National Geographic, always used to tell me to pay attention to the small details." (DOP means Director of Photography)

'It doesn't matter if it's only fine minutes, as long as it's the RIGHT five minutes."

"Light falls.Just make sure it falls in your favor."

"Don't pack up your camera until you've left the location."

"Shoot it now. Don't ever assume you can do a picture 'Later.'"

"Ya gotta keep your head on straight and remain confident behind the lens in a deal like this when everybody thinks you should soot it their way."

"Keep pushinig. 'No,' is always the easiest answer."

"Sometimes it's all working for you and you still miss. Other times it all sucks and you get a terrific frame. You just never know. The one surefire way to get nothing is to not bother looking."

"Some rules are good ones, like the rule of thirds. It works. but, like all rules, ya gotta break it every once in a while."

"You gotta be loose, like a boxer -- you have to bob and weave and slip and slide. The world doesn't stay still. We can't either."

"I gave flashes to these body builders and told them to go light temselves. Trust me, they were into it."

"The only way to keep your heart beating as a photographer is to shoot what you love."
----------

I like that last quote a lot. And that is just at the first few pages of the book! And while the book has ample text for reading, what is most important, especially when you have no time to go through everything, the "How to Get This Type of Shot" section is there. Isn't that wonderful?

Joe has a blog which you can visit to stay up to date: joemcnally.com/blog.
This book has a Flickr group: flickr.com/groups/themomentitclicks.


Would you tell us your review of the same book, too?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment