Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

A shot using aperture priority

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera LensIn all the reading that I’m doing, there has to come a time for me to put my head knowledge to practice. And as much as I would be advocating that perfection in what you are doing, though hard it may be, is not impossible.

But what would make a practice a perfection?

Apple Aperture 2.0 Upgrade [OLD VERSION]The old adage says that ‘practice makes perfect’, to which one of my former choir director disagreed to. Why is that? Or rather, if she disagreed to that saying, which many has found to be true and correct, what is she advocating?

Precisely, what is her stand?

Simple. It draws from that same proverb, but she gives it quite a very clear and precise execution:

“Constant, correct practice makes perfect.”

Now doesn’t that make a whole world of difference? To me it does. And from that day on, I have already made it my own guide. And is she the only one who thinks that way? No, she isn’t.

Miraculous Apertures (Camera) [feat. Tem Blessed]My secondary teacher, who happens to be our class adviser as well, made the same re-direction to our boys scout team, he being also the head of that department. We were doing a model of our boys scout ladders, bridges, etc., etc. and we were doing well, until he saw one guy who didn’t quite adhere to the prescribed method of tying knots. What did he say? “We’ll take it as it is, since it is just an example. However, boys, do take note that when the example is wrong, so will those who follow it.”

It turned out to be a good philosophy, then, and now.

Beyond the Green Box: Understanding Your Digital CameraI’ve read many books, but, I’ve done very few shots. Less than a thousand.

But when I do get the chance to click the button, I make sure that I am doing what I have learned: correct practice. I am falling of the other adjective of constancy, but, I will catch up. I will.

So here is one shot I took just today morning using aperture priority.

Actually, what prompted me to take the shot is the two, small lights that passed through the figurine, and landed on the cabinet. I immediately pictured in my mind that this is one not grand, but practical, piece of practice work.

_DSC0454
Aperture priority. No flash. On a tripod. Multi-segment metering. 62mm focal length. ISO 1600 (not modified from last photography session). 1/80 sec speed.

I initially used 55mm focal length, but it can’t get to focus correctly. I first focused on the glass part, and the camera had a hard time ‘settling’ on what is the correct focus, going in and out, in and out, till it stopped, but to something that I didn’t want. so I moved back a bit, and changed the focus to the ceramic base instead. That helped somehow.

Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Large Aperture Wide Angle Lens for Canon SLR CamerasOne more thing that I did is to check on the picture’s correctness of focus using the zoom function. This really helps, in that while initially looking at the snapshot ‘deceives’ the naked eye, zooming in reveals the focus status. This is the third shot. The shadow plays its own part, with the light at its middle breaking the shadow’s perceived imposed darkness.

Till then.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment